Depending on the type of box needed, you will need a different flute profile. For mailers where high print detail is required, we recommend E or B flute, because the surface is very smooth. C flute is the most common for printed regular (RSC) boxes and is a nice mix of cushioning and good print quality.
PRINTING: KRAFT VS WHITE
In general, the same colour will appear darker when printed on kraft compared to white corrugate, as seen below. Complex graphics and full-colour ranges look great on white. But we recommend only one or two solid colours on kraft for the best appearance.
DIGITAL/LITHO ARTWORK PREPARATION GUIDELINES
Structural Design of the box must be 100% approved before the structural line drawing will be released for artwork application to either sales rep or customer.
- Native vector files in .eps, .ai, or .pdf format. Vector files are the PREFERRED FILE FORMAT.
- Importing an image into Illustrator does not make it a VECTOR; it must be originally created in a vector base application.
- Minimum of 300 dpi (dots per inch) or higher resolution rastor CMYK .jpeg or .tiff. Increasing your dpi on an already low dpi file will not work
- Screenshots and web images are low resolution and not acceptable (PNG, HTML, GIF)
- If only low resolution images are available there will be a service charge to create usable files
- All files are required to be 100% on a 1:1 scale to the die line.
- Keep files layered; have artwork on a separate layer from the die line so adjustments can be made if needed.
- EMBED all images, or provide the linked images.
- BLEED art and images a minimum of 3/8" past the die cut edge.
- Seek assistance if you are not sure what the "safe veiwable areas" of the box are.
- Convert all fonts to OUTLINES to prevent font errors and have your file print ready.
FLEXO PRINT ARTWORK LAYOUT GUIDELINES
- All ARTWORK must be kept 1/2'' AWAY from all cuts and scores on slotted cartons.
- Steel die cut boxes can have print over scores and cuts and a minimum of 3/8" bleed past the die cut edge.
- Rastor files are not acceptable for making flexo print plates.
- Keep text and images bold and as large as possible: type must be 6 pt or larger.
- Lines must be 2 pt or thicker.
- Artwork containing complex shading, gradients and other effects are not recommended. Keep images solid colour for best results.
- If a colour is required other than black, a colour number must be provided: Pantone (PMS) or GCMI. GCMI COLOURS are standard in the corrugate industry and preferred by Whitebird.
- Pantone colours can be printed for an up-charge
- Colour can depend on the board colour to which the ink is being applied.
- Board colour (Kraft,White/Oyster, other) must be specified.
- If colour matching is required, a physical swatch may be required as colours cannot be matched based on how they appear on computer monitors, please ask assistance from a Whitebird representative.
Ready to get started with your custom box? Simply fill out the Custom Corrugate Quote form below and a sales rep will reach out to you quickly.